gematsu.comSpike Chunsoft has detailed content additions and changes for the western release of Zanki Zero: Last Beginning, its “non-stop survival RPG” developed by Lancarse.
Content AdditionsThe following additions are included in the localized release:
- Japanese Swimsuit DLC included in-game
- Difficulty I: Lowered difficulty to allow players to focus on story and puzzle-solving (other difficulties have not been modified)
- English voice-over option (dual audio, choose from English or original Japanese)
- Overall game balance and UI improvementsContent ChangesTo ensure a release for the west, content changes will also be included in the localized PlayStation 4 and Steam (PC) versions. To reduce content which could be interpreted as sexualization of characters depicted as minors, the following changes have been made:
- PlayStation 4 Packaging art – In order to conform to public storefront display standards, images that can be interpreted as too sexually provocative must be modified.
- Sachika Bedroom Scene CGIs – In the Japanese release, Sachika’s panties are visible. In the western release, Sachika is wearing pajama bottoms.
- Sachika CGI in the Opening Scene – In the Japanese release, Sachika’s panties are visible. In the western release, the camera angle has been raised to not show Sachika’s panties.
- Child Rinko Extend Machine CGI – In the Japanese release, Child Rinko covers her chest with her arms. In the western release, the position of her arms has been adjusted.
- All “Child” bedtime event cutscenes removed.
Sony and PlayStation's censorship continues with Zanki Zero: Last Beginning having several features removed from the Western release. The official release seems to be implying that certain forces would have stopped Zanki Zero: Last Beginning from releasing in the West had these censorship changes not happened.
Zanki Zero: Last Beginning is out in Japan for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in Japan, and will come out for PlayStation 4 and PC April 9th in North America and Europe.
I wonder who was behind these changes to stop the game from being published in the West? What an absolute mystery! :^)